||The Fisherman's Page
||collection of my teachings from scripture.
>> Home >> Fisherman > . . .
KTAR CF 24Oct 00, Bandar Baru Methodist Centre 24Jun01, Updated 15Jan2013
Three Difficult Questions
Matthew 22: 15 - 46, cf
- Children's questions: can God see every body every where?
- An atheist's question: can almighty God create something so big that He himself cannot carry?
- A philosopher's question: if God exists, why is there so much suffering in the world?
- A poor man's question: if God exists why am I so poor?
- A sick man's question: if God loves me, why am I so sick?
Tonight : what is your question? Do you have a question to ask our Lord
Jesus Christ? In our Bible passage tonight, we read about Jesus' enemies asking
Him 3 difficult questions. Verse 15 says "how they might entangle Him in his
talk." We know that Jesus made many enemies while He was here on earth.
He wasn't a very good politician. He offended many people. In verse 16, his
enemies described Him as a person who "cares not, regards not" people.
Our Lord's enemies would not leave Him alone. Verse 15 says they
"took counsel together". Both verse 34 and 42 say "they gathered together."
A Question of Loyalty v16 - 22
Herodians - no disloyalty.
Question: v17 - is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar?
- Jesus' reply, "Why tempt (test) me, ye hypocrites?" he perceived
their wickedness v.17
- Asked for penny, whose image? Caesar's
- v21 render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's,
and unto God the things which are God's.
- Question: what belongs to Caesar? What belongs to God?
Nobody at that time had ever thought of that - v22 they marvelled.
A Question of Life v23 - 33
Sadducees - no resurrection..
Verse 24 = Deutoronomy 25: 5, 6.
Question: v24 - 28 - in the resurrection, if there were a resurrection,
whose wife shall she be of the seven brothers?
- This was a 2 -in-1 question. First, is there such thing as
resurrection? Second, if there is, whose wife will this woman be?
- Jesus' reply: v29, Ye err - you think you are right, but you are
- Ye know not the scriptures - you think you know a lot,
you don't know the word of God.
- Ye know not the power of God - you don't know how powerful God is,
that he can transform us into new bodies after the resurrection
( refer the Apostle Paul's teaching in the New Testament).
"In the resurrection - they live as angels in heaven."
- Further question: have ye not heard, v31, 32.
Exodus 3: 6 - "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac,
and the God of Jacob ... "
Meaning: God is the God of the living, not the God of the dead.
Nobody has ever noticed that before.
v33 - the multitude were astonished.
A Question of Law v34 - 40
Lawyer - no transgression.
Question: v36 - which is the greatest commandment in the law (testing him)?
- The lawyer asked for one greatest commandment, our Lord Jesus
gave TWO commandments.
- First, Deutoronomy 6: 5 - you shall love the LORD with all your
heart, soul and might. Compare Matthew 22: 37 says heart, soul and
mind, but Luke 10: 27 says heart, soul, strength and mind.
- Second, Leviticus 19: 18 - thou shalt not avenge, bear grudge
against children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour
as thyself: I am the LORD.
The lawyer could not see - out of more than 600 commandments in the
Old Testament Law - that the entire law and the writings of the prophets
were based on these 2 commandments!
The Lord's Question v41ff
To the Pharisees (verse 41)
About Himself (verse 42) - whose son is the Messiah?
- this group did not ask him any questions. Were they the
masterminds behind this set-up?
- Now they all know that the Messiah wil be a descendant of
King David - son of David.
- But King David wrote Psalm 110: 1 - "The LORD said unto my Lord
(Messiah) ..." How come?
How could David's descendant also be David's Master? How come?
No one could answer that question. From that day, no one asked any more questions.
P.S. : I preached the above sermon to a small group of Christian College Students at a Chinese Methodist outreach back in October 2000. At that time, I believed in the doctrine of the Trinity and my answer to the Master's Impossible Question was, not surprisingly, "because the Messiah is God. He is part of the Trinitarian God-head. That's why King David addressed him as his Master" . . .
Today, 15Jan2013: Thirteen years have passed. I have become a Monotheistic Believer in YHWH.
About a week ago I realised that the answer to the Impossible Question can be found in Peter's message to the people in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost (Shavuot) in Acts chapter 2:29 - 36, especially v33 and 34. In his sermon, Peter explained that
- It was not David who went up to heaven (v34).
- Instead, it was David's descendant, Yeshua the Anointed One.
- who was raised to the right hand of God, His Father,
- who received the Holy Spirit from God,
- who poured out this gift of the Holy Spirit "on us" (v33)
This Yeshua, who is crucified, is the one that God has made Master (Adon) and Anointed One (Messiah).
So why did King David call the Messiah, who is his descendant, "Adoni" (Master)? Because the Messiah went up to heaven to be at the right hand of His God and His Father.